Monday, August 3, 2009

Does the Eye Doctor lways give you DILATING drops after SCLERAL BUCKLE surgery ?

My surgeon gave me antibiotic and prednisone drops after top and bottom scleral buckle surgery two days ago.





I notice that most of the articles online say the dilating drops are also always given.





Should I have them also? My eye is hurting pretty bad, very red, sore, and 'burns' and is very 'hot'. I also have a 101.4 fever. The fever developed 8 hrs. after the surgery; the severe redness and burning/watering the following evening.





My eye doctor could not be reached (no answering service picked up) when the question came to mind tonight, and I had no one to ask. I am applying cold packs to help with the redness and swelling.

Does the Eye Doctor lways give you DILATING drops after SCLERAL BUCKLE surgery ?
Drops for dilation are typically given in office in order for the physician to be able to see your retina. The are not an absolute must after retinal surgery and some physicians do not prescribe them. It is not uncommon to keep a patient dilated in order to prevent added strain and further detachment on the retina which may be caused by the natural focusing of you eye when you use it. Is your eye patched? If so then I do not believe dilation drops would have much of an added benefit.





More of a concern is your fever and pain and redness. You should review your post-surgery instructions and if they indicate that you should watch for fever then a trip to the ER or urgent care clinic may be in order. A post-surgical infection is NOT a matter that should be taken lightly.
Reply:Pretty much, yes. It makes complete visualization of the retina much more achievable, which is very important in this context.



poems

No comments:

Post a Comment